Sunday, 22 January 2012

Evaluative Report.


Moving to Paris for three months, was the best decision I have ever made. I knew from the outset it was where I wanted to go. The opportunity, to learn a new language, be in a different culture and find something else about myself, was so huge. Terrifying as it was: applying, being chosen and heading to Paris alone, it was in every way worthwhile and better than I ever could have expected.
Paris is a wonderful city. I found I settled in with the different lifestyle and attitudes very quickly. I walked everywhere whilst I was there and found Paris to be completely different to the stereotypical abrasive, cold and lonely place I had assumed it would be. The city is a huge, wondrous sight, full of incredible architecture, fascinating people and endless opportunities. I felt I could be and do what ever I wanted whilst I was there, without the feeling of being insignificant or pretentious. It is slower then London, with the city not being so “24x7” and having french friends turn up 2 hours “fashionably late” is the norm. This did take some getting used too, as did realizing that everything does not always make sense . The best option is always to stay calm. The french, and especially Parisians, have a lot of rituals and formalities that, at the outset, seem incredibly complicated to comprehend. However once I understood how they worked, they became the most simple and obvious things in the world. 
Taking my french to another level has been a total eye opener for me, into how amazing it is to speak two languages. It is certainly something I am going to keep up as I felt a real  sense of accomplishment when I could get through a lesson or conversation in french and fully understand it. This, however was the main hurdle to get past, especially at the start with my host university. 
ENSAD is a fantastic state funded college with an enormous amount of facilities and variety of courses. All of the tutors are practicing designers and artists which makes them incredibly critical of the students work. This, however, creates an amazingly inspirational atmosphere that is very mature and professional but, of course, comes with the essential twenty coffee and cigarette breaks each day. I acquired far more knowledge about design and research which will aide me in the future with all my endeavors. I was also able to take classes in drawing, photography, cinema, exhibitions, colour and history of art, which deepened my interest in the creative arts. I don’t believe that either Chelsea or Ensad is better, but I do think both universities could learn a huge amount from each other. 
I met some incredible people whilst living in Paris. It was something I hadn’t particularly thought about before going, as I was far too excited about living in a new city. There is no real way to explain how interacting with different people from other cultures changes you.   But the wonderful friends I made, brought out a different side to me which I liked. I feel I have become more comfortable with myself and more open to different possibilities and options in life. 
I came to realize in Paris, that being out in the world appreciating people, architecture and the atmosphere of a place is so important for any student in the creative field. It is about completely immersing oneself in as many things as possible and not always searching for that perfect out come at the end. This I think, is a wonderful attitude to have gained, not only for my work but for life as well. I have no idea what I want to be or what I want to do, but what I learnt in Paris, is that opportunities in life are endless. And it is about seizing every chance one gets, whether it is applying for Erasmus, taking a job in New York or just sending a photograph into a newspaper. I am happy I learnt technical skills, the language and independency, however this attitude is what I really want to continue having for the rest of my life; the attitude to seize and open doors. Although it was only a short time I was there and it flew by in seconds, I will never forget this experience. And I have no question in my mind that I will go live there in a few years time.

A toute Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment